Club Sponsor  - The Sunday Independent
Club Sponsor - Carlsberg
Club Sponsor - Tribute
REPORT: White Tigers go down fighting

REPORT: White Tigers go down fighting

By Truro City Football Club
27th April
Share via

Two late goals not enough...

THE WHITE Tigers went down fighting as two late goals saw us play out a 3-3 draw with Slough Town but it was not enough for us to avoid relegation.
The early action saw Niall Thompson fire wide as we looked to grab an early foot-hold in this important game.
A free-kick from Connor Riley-Lowe was delivered invitingly and as the ball found its way to Chris Regis, his effort was easy for the ‘keeper.
We deservedly took the lead on 18 minutes when Thompson got in a strike from distance that flew into the net.
In the wake of the goal, we almost grabbed a second as our visitors scrambled off the line.
With results elsewhere going our way, there was an upbeat mood around the ground, but our visitors showed that they could be a threat when Roberts broke through only to fire wide.
It was a warning in the Treyew Road wind and Roberts was denied again in the next attack as Nick Grimes was brave to block his stinging strike.
Grimes then was in the right place at the right time to clear off the line as our opponents started to up the pressure in search of a leveller.
We appeared to have weathered the storm, but right on the stroke of half-time, the visitors found an equaliser as Lench turned the ball home.
It was a blow to take into the second half and it was Slough who looked the most likely side in the opening exchanges as they saw plenty of the ball.
Alexis Jr did well to deny Wells from a free-kick and then produced a stunning save to thwart Amerty as he got in behind our back-line.
With all hands to the pumps, Billy Palfrey and then Jamie Richards both defended well.
At the other end, Thompson had a shooting chance that he fired over before Dan Rooney picked out Tyler Harvey who volleyed over.
We were starting to get into our stride again and Thompson delivered an inviting ball across the face of goal which just evaded Noah Keats.
It was agonising stuff as Rooney then slotted Keats through but as he closed in on goal, he fired straight at the ‘keeper.
We were made to pay for missing those opportunities on 75 minutes when Harris was able to beat Alexis Jr to put our visitors in front.
Worse was to following shortly afterwards when Amartey made it 3-1.
It would have been easy to have thrown the towel in at this point, but the players kept battling away and Harvey was unlucky as Turner saved well from point-blank range.
Substitute, Ziboth then went close before we were awarded a last minute penalty which that man, Harvey, converted to reduce the arrears.
We still had another goal left in us as Ziboth netted a stoppage time equaliser to complete the comeback but sadly it was not enough to see us avoid relegation.

PHOTO: Josh Miller.

Share via