News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
REPORT: Late heartbreak for The White Tigers

REPORT: Late heartbreak for The White Tigers

Truro City Football Club16 Dec 2017 - 17:00
Share via

Last minute goal wins it for Sutton United in the Buildbase FA Trophy...

THE WHITE Tigers suffered late heartbreak as a last minute goal gave Sutton United a hard-earned 1-0 win in the first round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.
The opening exchanges were pretty even, although it was the home side who were seeing more of the ball without harming us too much.
A series of corners for the home side caused concern but we managed to clear our lines under pressure.
Then an inviting cross from Bolarinwa required Ben Gerring to be alert to clear at the far post before at the other end, a free-kick in a promising position was blasted goalwards by Ed Palmer but Butler was able to make the save.
As we started to get into our stride, a loose ball was seized upon by Tyler Harvey but he elected to shoot rather than look for a team-mate and his effort was lifted over.
Some neat link-up play between Harvey and Cody Cooke saw us force a corner which fell to Palmer whose strike was blocked as The White Tigers started to ask a few questions of the home side.
There was a great chance for Sutton United with ten minutes to go until the interval when Lafayette did well to carve open our back-line to find Wright who broke through but pulled his effort wide from a good position.
It was a let-off for The White Tigers as the scoreline remained goalless.
Right on the stroke of half-time, McHale did well to push away an effort from Eastmond at his near post, whilst at the other end Niall Thompson won a free-kick which ended with Ben Harding firing over.
The second period with The White Tigers looking solid and showing plenty of endeavour.
Chances remained at a premium as both sides lacked the cutting edge.
The home side went close when Bolarinwa was positive to break forward and then feed Eastmond who was denied as he looked to grab the opener.
A great run from Connor Riley-Lowe saw him break out of defence to eventually win a free-kick on the edge of the opposition area. The resulting free-kick was curled inches wide by Harvey.
There was a real let-off for The White Tigers when leading scorer Dundas was presented with a great chance which he blazed well over.
Into the final ten minutes and another powerful free-kick from Palmer smashed against the crossbar with the goalkeeper beaten.
The next raid in the Sutton rain saw Cooke put a header just wide but there was to be late heartbreak as the 89th minute saw Dundas seize upon a loose ball before tucking home to put the home side in front.
Right at the death a counter-attack from the home side saw Cadogan go close and there was still time for Cooke to fire inches wide with virtually the last kick.
It was a spirited and battling display from The White Tigers where we frustrated our hosts for long periods and we can take plenty of positives from it against a good side from the level above.

WHITE TIGERS: McHale, Thompson (Palfrey), Hartridge, Palmer, Gerring, Richards, Lamont (Keats), Riley-Lowe, Harvey (Neal), Cooke, Harding. Subs not used: Yetton, Copp.

Further reading