Club Sponsor  - The Sunday IndependentClub Sponsor - CarlsbergClub Sponsor - Tribute
MATCH REPORT: Chesham United Vs Truro City FC: August, 24, 2019

MATCH REPORT: Chesham United Vs Truro City FC: August, 24, 2019

By Truro City Football Club
25 August
Share via


The White Tigers fell to their first defeat of the new season on Saturday as two second half goals proved to be our downfall in a 2-1 loss at Chesham United.

Things looked to be so different as we dominated the early exchanges and managed to take the lead.

Niall Thompson latched onto a long ball and took it down well before using his pace to get goal side of the full back. He released a shot that was blocked before firing the rebound into the top corner to give us a lead after thirteen minutes.

Our first half dominance continued as we looked to build on Thompson’s opener. Ryan Law was played through beautifully by Will Dean but the full back fired over from what was a difficult angle.

The attacking threat of Harrison Davis was evident once again and he could have made it two just before the break. After a clever one two, the defender found himself eye to eye with the goalkeeper, but his effort was pushed away well.

Going into the second period the home side started to see more of the ball and James Hamon who hardly had a save throughout the first half was forced into a great stop after a powerful run pierced our backline. The offside flag did eventually go up but he wasn’t to know that.

Truro had to result to trying to hit them on the counter attack. Luke Jephcott got in behind and pulled it back to Noah Keats who was closed down quickly, to deny the midfielder getting a shot away.

Chesham got their equaliser on sixty-eight minutes as a long throw was sent in and powerfully headed home by Mark Kirby to draw his side level.

More chances for both teams followed. Jephcott cleared one off the line before up the other end he played in substitute Stewart Yetton who couldn’t get the power he would have liked as his effort was comfortably claimed by the keeper.

As the game looked certain to finish with a share of the points. Chesham broke City hearts. The ball was once again sent in via a long throw and yet again we failed to clear, as the ball fell to Karl Oliyde at the back post who finished well to ensure we went back to Cornwall empty handed.

TRURO – Hamon, Davis, Law, Gafaiti, Mbayo, Richards ©, Dean, Booth, Keats (Garside 76), Thompson (Yetton 60), Jephcott.

Unused subs. Ward, N’Diaye, Rooney.

Bookings – Booth, Richards

Attendance – 401

Report and photos by Cameron Weldon

Share via